Michel Roux

Sunday 19 February 2012

A chef's torture

The office at Grand Dédale is located in a glass walkway which connects the Manor House with the kitchen building. Needless to say, I get a constant reminder of what is cooking in the kitchen. Pure torture - how I manage not to put on 10 kg every week I do not know.
A couple of days back I followed this amazing smell back into the kitchen. Even though being February and close to 35 degrees, it felt like coming home on Christmas Eve! As I entered the kitchen the entire kitchen counter was covered in something resembling gold medals, about to be dipped into icing. Noticing the look on my face, my chef just said "Butternut cookies"!

And here is the recipe:

Cream half a cup of soft butter with 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Add 1 cup of butternut puree, 1 egg and vanilla essence. Then fold in 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of bicarb, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cloves and 1/2 tsp salt.
Drop small amounts of the batter onto a baking sheet and back for 15 to 20 minutes at 175 C.

For the icing mix 2 cups icing sugar, 3 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp butter and 1 tsp vanilla.





No comments:

Post a Comment